Self care on a budget
‘You can’t drink from an empty cup’
As parents, we often prioritise our children’s needs over our own. But we need to look after ourselves too. Making time for yourself isn’t selfish; by looking after yourself, you will be in a much better position to look after your little one- win/win!
So, make time every week that is for you. Put it in your calendar. Let hubby, friends or family know that you need them to be on duty at that time. Then lock something in…and try your hardest not to cancel it if something else comes up.
Now you have made the time, what shall you do?
It doesn’t need to be time-consuming…it doesn’t need to cost anything…but it does need to fill your cup.
Things that work for parents are:
- Have a bubble bath
- Listen to your favourite podcast
- Read a book or a magazine
- Go to the library…the gym….the pool….yoga class
- Get your nails done
- Meet a friend for coffee
- Catch some zzzz’s
- Go for a bike ride or a walk
- Phone someone you haven’t spoken to for a while
- Plan your next holiday
- Book in that overdue appointment….the doctor…dentist…
- Donate blood
- Dance around your living room to your favourite song!
- Create a gratitude journal and write in it every evening before bed